Organizing Your Home

Statistics say that most stuff we own we never use. We wear 20% of the clothes we own, the other 80% hangs in the closet; and 25 % of adults pay their bills late because they lost them.

You are not alone. The National Association of Professional Organizers (yes, one really exists) provides some guidelines for getting your “stuff” together.

  • Make a “to do” list for the next day and prioritize the tasks.
  • Make lunches, set out clothes and put everything you need for the next day in a designated area the night before.
  • Have the kids pack homework and books in their backpacks ready for the next day.
  • Place your purse, briefcase, cell phone and keys in a designated area every day so you always know where they are.
  • Decide on a breakfast menu the night before. set out the cereal boxes, bowls plates and utensils the night before.
  • Fill the gas tank the day before in case you run late the next morning.
  • Use plastic storage boxes and inexpensive organizers to store personal items and accessories (hair spray, lotions, shaving cream, shampoos and conditioners etc).
  • Periodically dispose of old/unused items in your bathroom: Makeup, lotions, old razors, sunscreen and perfume.
  •  Return old medications (including prescriptions) to your local pharmacy for safe disposal.
  • Place baskets in your closet for laundry and dry cleaning.
  • Separate your clothes by season and donate anything you don’t wear anymore to a local charity.
  • Dispose of all extra wire hangers. Donate them to the dry cleaners to recycle.
  •  Hang scarves on a hanger or scarf rack, and belts and ties on hangers or racks.
  •  Use a shoe rack to keep shoes organized.

You can find other ways to “get organized” as well.  It’s “habit forming” in a good way..



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.